In May 2012, I started looking into programs that I could use to teach Ms. P (age 4 and 11 months) to read. I looked into a few different programs and decided to begin by using the Now I'm Reading series on Innovative Kids, mostly for its level-specific lesson plans.
Ms. P is currently working on the "Now I'm Reading!™: Pre-Reader: All About The ABCs," which focuses on recognition of all 26 letters of the alphabet and a few sight words (and, the, a). Each book is four pages long and focuses on one letter at a time. She is currently on the letter "T" and is getting better at recognizing her letters each time we go through the alphabet. My goal is to have her recognizing all the letters of the alphabet and knowing their main sounds by the end of July.
I try to do a 10-15 minute lesson each day, and teach her three letters each day. We study the letter (uppercase and lowercase), review the sound that will be the focus of the booklet, read through the booklet, and end by going through the letters that she has learned so far. She also has a writing tablet that she uses at the end of the session to write the uppercase and lowercase letters for the new letters she learned that day.
After we complete the alphabet, I plan to move on to some phonics and sight words. More to come!
Sunday, June 17, 2012
Adventures in Bilingualism
Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping at 12:29 PM
Labels: Now I'm Reading, Pre-readers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment